A Glasgow School, Art Nouveau side chair possibly designed by John Ednie. The delicate, rose motif inlay and unusual tapered front legs make for an eye-catching, feature piece.
The chair has been skilfully restored and re-covered in a Tassinari et Chatel, bee motif fabric; a design that was originally commissioned by Napoleon and Josephine.
Hours of work were spent on the seat. It has been re-webbed and has fresh hessian, horsehair (hand secured with bridle ties), cotton felt and FR cotton calico.
This fabric has the most indescribable lustre and the golden bees radiate in a way that cannot be conveyed in a photograph. The seat has been beautifully hand-finished with a woven trim (not yet shown in photographs) from Houlès, Paris.
John Ednie grew up in Edinburgh but was born in Glasgow in 1876. After studying architecture at Heriot Watt College, he won a travelling scholarship which allowed him to explore several cities in Europe.
Ednie worked alongside George Logan and E.A. Taylor at Wylie and Lochhead’s design department. Following Ednie’s departure from Wylie and Lochhead, he was commissioned to undertake various design projects for public buildings and private homes; he also produced stained glass and furniture designs during this period.
In 1908, Ednie was appointed head of the Decorative Art Department at The Glasgow and West of Scotland Techinical College. In 1928, following a move to London in 1926, Ednie and his wife moved to Cairo where he took up position as Director at The Cairo School of Applied Art.
Tassinari et Chatel, which has been family-owned for over three centuries, continues to produce exquisite archival designs; such as those originally commissioned by Napoleon, Louis XIV and Marie-Antoinette.
Tassinari et Chatel’s luxurious Lampas are often used for restoration projects at the Élysée Palace, the Château de Versailles, the Petit Trianon and the Château de Fontainebleau.
Houlès designs and creates the finest of trimmings and fabrics. Still family-owned, the company was founded in Paris, by father and son Félix and André Houlès, in 1928. The company, which began with one store at 18 rue Saint-Nicolas, is now established in over 160 countries.
Presidential residences and castles, such as le Château de Versailles, often select Houlès’ passements for their restoration projects.
We are happy to schedule a virtual viewing for this piece, answering any questions you may have, should you be unable to view it in person. Please do call us to schedule an appointment.