An Anglo-Japanese walnut ‘Pagoda’ side table by Heal and Son. This rare table is featured in the Heal’s catalogue of 1884 – see the page from ‘Pictorial Dictionary of British 19th Century Furniture’ Antique Collectors’ Club 1977, p. 526
The original Heal’s firm was established in 1810 as a feather-dressing business by John Harris Heal and his son.
In 1818, the business moved to Tottenham Court Road, London and expanded into bedding, bedstead and furniture manufacture and into retailing. By the end of the nineteenth century it was one of the best-known furniture suppliers in London.
In the early 20th century Heal’s was one of the first retailers to bring electric lighting to the British market. During the second world war the factory at Tottenham Court Road was converted to produce parachutes. Heal’s featured at the Festival of Britain in 1951 and in 1977 restored the banqueting table at Buckingham Palace for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.